Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
Any organization that processes, stores or transmits payment card data must be compliant according to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
Set up by the major credit card suppliers (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and JCB) this standard is extremely stringent and considered one of the more comprehensive data security standards. Levels of compliance validation are defined based on the volume of transactions, potential vulnerabilities and exposure into the payment system by merchants and service providers.
The Business Challenge
Organizations, such as retail merchants, online payment processors and banks, must protect cardholder information and prevent credit card fraud and other security vulnerabilities.
The PCI DSS Solution
The PCI DSS specifies 12 requirements for compliance, grouped into 6 IT ‘control objectives’.
Safestone’s industry-recognized modular solutions can ensure that these 12 requirements are met on a continual basis.
The following table outlines the 12 requirements for PCI DSS compliance and the specific modular Safestone product that addresses each standard for System i (iSeries) (OS/400).
Build and maintain a secure network
- Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect cardholder data
- Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters
Protect cardholder data
- Protect stored cardholder data
- Encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks
Maintain a vulnerability management program
- Use and regularly update anti-virus software
- Develop and maintain secure systems and applications
Implement strong access control measures
- Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know
- Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
- Restrict physical access to cardholder data
Regularly monitor and test networks
- Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
- Regularly test security systems and processes
Maintain an information security policy
- Maintain a policy that addresses information security